To Become or Untitled (Identity, Noise, Information Pattern) / 未命名 或 无题（身份、噪音、信息模式）
"There is, in my opinion, only one conclusion that may be drawn from the idea that the self is not given to us: we must create ourselves as works of art."
“To Become” is a performance work that happens on WeChat, which is a Chinese social networking app that became popular since 2011. The “Moments” feature in this app is similar to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram’s timelines. The work tends to discuss topics of "information and identity", "privacy and public", “Reality and Virtuality”, and "data and power" in online space.
- Huang Guaier + Wang Runzhong are planning to use Wang’s personal WeChat account to practice a one-year performance.
- This action is taken place at 0:00 AM EST everyday.
- At this time, Wang’s account will copy the first post that’s on “Moments” in WeChat, and it will also copy that person’s profile picture, account name, and status.
- Every change will last 24 hours, and the whole performance is from 01/15/2018 to 01/14/2019.
- During this period, if you’re interested in observing and participating the performance, you’re welcomed to add WeChat account: 1770383103.
- 这次行为以每天的美国东部时间（EST）0：00 AM作为打卡时刻。
Documentation of the performance in 2015 / 2015年部分记录：